Tuesday, February 10, 2015

3D felting - over a ceramic vase

 

Valerie Stuart (ceramics) & Elanya Selby (felt)
Felted Ceramic Vases - Co-Creations
So this is the start of "Co-Creations" - combined mediums, two artists working together. My felting and textiles, my mums ceramics. It's the start of a beautiful relationship!

I have been very busy felting lately. I did a course on felting over 3D objects way back in Easter 2014, and I'm really putting that to the test now. My mum had some ceramic vases she made a while ago, and was getting tired of them, so we decided to try and felt over them, see what I could come up with. The above is the finished product, below are the pictures of the process. The wool I'm using is called a "ready spin", from Bendigo Mills - I know that doesn't say much! It is quite a course wool, and with my limited experience and knowledge on the many different wools, I would equate it to something like a corriedale.


3D felting
The vase to be felted over
For size comparison - the wool is laid out and wet down


Design and prefelt stage

During the felting stage

The start of fitting the felt perfectly to the vase

No comments:

Post a Comment