Saturday, August 22, 2009

Evolution of a hat

I promised the 'evolution of the leftleg hat' so here it is:

I started with a very 'girly' pink hat for Lilly (she's just over 8 months in these photos). This hat took me quite a while to make. All edges are turned under, and fabrics were all cut straight (not on the bias). There were different types of fabrics too: corduroy, quilters cotton, flannel, retro & upcycled. The inside was calico, which I found shrunk quite a bit in the wash.

Then we did a green one for Oliver (who was going to Ireland for a holiday), and an orange one for Isaac:

The leftleg hat now looks like this:

The first two are for sale, the last one Lilly has been wearing for about 18 months. It's been through the wash plenty of times, Grandad has even lost it at the park before, but it always manages to find it's way home!
The strips of fabric are now cut on bias - I have a box for each colour! They are still quite time consuming to make. Here is an interesting fact: there is 180", or 4.5m of fabric strips (1.5" wide) needed to make a toddler hat! That's a lot of cutting and a lot of sewing - but damn they look good don't they!

No comments:

Post a Comment